Sea Bass Citrus Noodles with Silla Bjerrum
4 medium sized fillets of sea bass
200 grams dried soba noodles
300 grams gai choy or bok choy
1/2 cucumber 4 spring onion
10 grams pre-toasted sesame seeds
300 ml. orange juice
100 yuzu juice (or lemon juice)
50 grams honey
50 ml. mirin
50 ml. sushi vinegar
20 ml. soy sauce
1 tablespoon cornflour
sunflower oil for noodles and frying
dash of sesame oil for the sea bass
salt and pepper for seasoning
1. First cook the soba noodles by bringing a large pot of salted water to the boil. Have a cup of cold water next to the pot whilst cooking the noodles and add a splash whenever the water rises to the surface instead of turning the heat down. The noodles need 7-8 minutes cooking until just al dente. When ready drain in a colander, rinse for a few seconds under the cold tap, leave to drain and then dress in 1 teaspoon of sunflower oil.
2. Make the citrus sauce combine orange juice, yuzu, mirin, soy sauce, sushi vinegar and honey in small sauce pan and gently bring it to just before boiling point and whisk to combine. Dissolve cornflour in cold water and gradually whisk into the sauce for an even texture similar to that of single cream.
3. Prepare a steamer for the greens. Wash the greens and steam for 2 minutes until just cooked. Turn of the steamer and leave green to rest whilst preparing the rest of the dishes.
4. Prepare the spring onions and the cucumber. First wash, then peel and trim spring onions, cut in half on the length and thereafter into fine strips julienne style. Cut the cucumber in quarters on the length, remove seeds and thereafter into fine strips julienne style. Set aside.
5. Now prepare the sea bass; cut each fillet in 3 pieces by cutting on a the ankle for diamond shaped pieces, season with salt and pepper. Slit each fillet with 2 cuts. Now fry the sea bass, adding oil to a pan, heat and place sea bass fillets skin side down. Let the skin take color and crisp, then turn fillets and dry for another 2 minutes until just cooked through. You want the fillet to still be translucent inside so that it is just finishing cooking as the dish is put down in front of you.
6. Now to assemble this dish: add the noodles to the saucepan with the sauce, heat through. Divide noodles between 4 serving shallow bowls and ladle the sauce on top. Place the greens on top, add the sea bass pieces balancing on top, drizzle with sesame oil and season with flaky sea salt and pepper. Ready to serve.