Pulao and Cucumber Raita with Angela Malik
Updated: Apr 8, 2020
200g basmati rice
200g cold water
150g frozen peas
1 large potato boiled and cubed
2 tablespoons cooking oil
1 onion sliced
1 tsp garam masala
1 tsp salt
1. Thoroughly was the rice three times in running water. Cover with water and set aside to soak while you prepare the vegetables. Ideally for a minimum of 15 minutes.
2. Fry the onions on a high heat in the oil until brown. Once the onions are dark brown at the garam masala and salt. Fry for a few seconds. The aromas are amazing.
3. Then throw in the frozen peas and cubed potatoes. Fry for 1 minute. Turn the heat to medium.
4. Drain the rice and add to the pot. Top with the water.
5. Cover with a lid and gently bring to the boil.
6. Once boiling turn down the heat to very low allowing the rice to simmer. Cover the pan with a tea towel and replace lid.
7. Cook on a very low heat for a further 20 minutes or until the rice is soft. It is important to keep the heat as low as possible.
8. Switch off heat and allow rice to cook in the residual heat.
9. Fluff up with serving spoon.
For the Raita
250ml full fat plain yogurt
½ cucumber grated and squeezed
Squeeze of lime juice
Salt to taste
Pinch of red chilli powder – to serve (optional)
Place add ingredients into a bowl and mix. If too thick you can loosen with a little water.
Taste for seasoning. Sprinkle with the red chilli powder for colour. Serve.