Nyonya Fried Rice by Ping Coombes
Store-cupboard adapted version of Nyonya Fried Rice from Ping's book MALAYSIA
200g Jasmine rice
4 dry shiitake mushrooms
25g dried shrimps
1 can of tuna (about 120g)
2 garlic cloves, chopped
2 shallots or ½ onion, sliced
2 eggs, lightly beaten
3 tsp oil
1 tbs oyster
1 tsp light soy sauce
1 tsp dark soya sauce
Large pinch of white pepper
1. Cook the rice according to the packet instructions. Best cooked the day before or you can use leftover rice. Fluff up the rice with a fork and let it cool. The rice should be fluffy and not clumpy
2. Rehydrate the mushrooms in cold water for 2 hours. You can speed it up by using hot boiling water. Drain, diced and set aside
3. Rehydrate the shrimps in cold water for 10 minutes. Drain and diced finely. Set aside
4. In a wok, heat 1 tsp oil, pour beaten eggs in and swirl the pan to make a thin omelette. Once the eggs start to cook through, roll the eggs up and dish out in a plate. Once cool enough to handle, cut the eggs into slices to form ribbons
5. Using the same wok, heat up 2 tsp oil and fry shallots and garlic on medium heat until fragrant. Add dried shrimps and fry until aromatic and popping.
6. Add mushrooms and stir fry for 1 minute, add tuna and break up the lumps
7. Add rice and incorporate well and make sure there are no clumps. Add seasoning and mix well. Make sure there are no white bits and all the rice is incorporated well with the seasoning.
8. Top with eggs and turn off the heat.
9. Serve with crispy shallots, spring onions and eat with your favourite chilli oil.