Cold Beetroot Soup with Andrei Shmakov
Traditional Lithuanian beet soup or šaltibarščiai as it is known locally. This is for 4 servings.
500g red beets (peeled and cooked, keep the cooking liquid)
2 medium cucumbers (peeled, seeded and cut into cubes)
2 hard-boiled eggs (peeled)
1/4 teaspoon salt
4 cups buttermilk
200g of new potatoes
2 tbls of clarified butter
Handful of greens, chopped
Salt (to taste)
Pepper (to taste)
Garnish: fresh chopped dill or any greens
1. While the beets are boiling, chop the greens, cucumbers, and egg whites finely.
2. When the beets are tender, remove them from the cooking liquid (keep the cooking liquid) and cool them in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour. When cool, grate the beets coarsely.
3. Strain beet cooking liquid and return it to the cooking pot. Add buttermilk, blend well.
4. Mix in grated beets, chopped cucumbers and chopped egg whites. Stir until well blended. Adjust seasonings.
5. Serve in a chilled bowl or glass topped with seasonal greens.
6. Boil the new potatoes, pour clarified butter on top, sprinkle with salt and seasonal greens. Serve with the soup.